Math Mate help.

Do you have any questions about your Math mate homework sheet? If so, post them on this page and I will get back to you. Don’t forget to check out the hints for the problem solving questions.

Unsure of what a term means in the Math Mate? Follow the link below to a glossary of terms that will help.

Math Mate glossary

5 thoughts on “Math Mate help.

1. Year 5 problem solving questions – Term 1 Week 7

22. When you look at the dice what numbers can you see? Write these down. So, what numbers are hidden? Write these down. The word ‘sum’ means to add. So, add the numbers that you can’t see. What’s your answer?

#23. Once again I find writing things down in the form of a diagram helps. On a piece of paper write the numbers 1 to, say, 12. In the first over the make 7 runs. So write 7 down above over 1. If they lose 5 runs the next over what does that take their score to? Write this number down above over 2. In the next over they make another 7 runs, so add 7 to the score in over 2. What is their score now? Keep doing this writing down the score they get after each over. Can you see a pattern? Maths is very much about seeing patterns in numbers.

#24. Now, where to start? Is there a row or column that is only missing one piece of information? If there is, work out the missing number. Does this give you another row or column that is only missing one number? There should be! Keep working like this until you’ve filled in all of the numbers.

2. Year 6 problem solving questions – Term 1 Week 7.

#22. When you look at each of the figures, what are the attributes that you see? What are the shape of the bodies, the arms and so on. Choose one figure in the left hand column. What shapes are above and below it? How does this change in the second column? Finally, if you’ve discovered the pattern, which figure is missing in the right hand column?

#23. I find that drawing up a data table helps for these kinds of problems. You know that there is a total of 92 beds and that there are 40 rooms. Have a look at the image on the front page. Can you see how to use a table of data to work through the problem?

#24. Arithmagons – tricky things some times! I usually start with the bottom number. I halve the number, 30 in this case, but then realise that the total on the right is higher than the left. What does tell me about how I should split up my 15 and 15 (half of 30)? Clearly there needs to be a higher number in the bottom right than the bottom left. Choose a combination. This process is trial and error until you start seeing a pattern. Now you have the bottom numbers in. What number do you have to put in the top circle to make them add up correctly? Very rarely will you get the correct answer the first time. You have to play with the numbers. There is a general rule, but I’m not going to tell you it. Maths is also about investigating and discovering.

3. I’m having trouble on term1, sheet 4. The question I’m having trouble with is number 24! Even dad can’t figure it out